[gdal-dev] New OGR driver to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Jul 20 03:25:17 PDT 2012

Rahkonen Jukka <Jukka.Rahkonen <at> mmmtike.fi> writes:

> Even Rouault wrote:

> > Do you have comparisons of the performance with osm2pgsql on the same
 PC and
> > with the same data ? I'd be curious if that slow down effect is
 found with every
> > tool, or if it is something specific to the way sqlite is used, or if
 other
> > tools do more clever things when indexing or retrieving nodes.

This test may be interesting. I took timings from converting
finland.osm.pbf and germany.osm.pbf with spatialite_osm_map.
It is doing roughly same thing as ogr2ogr, that is, reads
nodes from OSM file and resolves point, line and polygon
features. Enviroment:

Windows 7, 64-bit. 6 GB memory
64-bit spatialite_osm_map.exe, version numbers:
SQLite version: 3.7.13
SpatiaLite version: 3.1.0-RC2

Command:
spatialite_osm_map -d osm_map_testfi.sqlite -o finland.osm.pbf -jo

Results:
Finland 11 minutes
Germany 10 hours

Memory usage of spatialite_osm_map process was very low, under 50 MB.

Similar behaviour of ogr2ogr and spatialite_osm_map makes me
think that perhaps it is SQLite that does not scale up well.

-Jukka Rahkonen-