[gdal-dev] New OGR driver: Imageset

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jul 23 01:17:31 PDT 2012

 Hi Tamas,

 That would be interesting. So the user could specify a folder with
 images and GDAL would create an OGR layer that would expose the photo
 location? The OGR feature would have certain EXIF data exposed as
 attributes?

 If you work on this, could you also expose other EXIF data, such as the
 viewpoint coordinates, the image direction, the FOV or focal length, the
 sensor size, etc. - this information could be used to create a field of
 view angle of the picture.

 You can try this at http://www.geofoto.ch/geophotomap/index.svg where
 you can click on a picture standpoint and the browser will display an
 angle where the picture is looking at.

 I'd be interested in such a provider, as it would open a lot of
 possibilities to display photo information in various applications.

 Are you aware of EXIFTOOL - the perl-script that allows getting and
 setting image metadata, such as EXIF, IPTC, XMP, etc.? See
 http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ - it is sort of the Swiss
 Army Knife of photo metadata and one of the fewer apps that can also set
 metadata - not just read.

 Andreas

 On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:51:14 +0200, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We're thinking about implementing a new OGR driver which would
> represent a set of images as a vector data source. The images are
> taken from any GPS compatible mobile device, and each picture would
> be
> represented as a point feature, the positions would be extracted from
> the exif information. The file name and path would be provided as an
> attribute for each feature. This data source could then be used by
> higher level apps to provide symbols at the picture locations in the
> map and display the picture when the feature is selected. The driver
> would definitely use GDAL to extract information about the provided
> images.
>
> I'm not sure whether we already have some kind of alternative
> solution
> to this, let me know if you know about any. Further ideas about this
> topic would also be helpful.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

 Andreas Neumann