[gdal-dev] OSM Driver and World Planet file (pbf format)

Smith, Michael ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH Michael.Smith at erdc.dren.mil
Mon Jul 23 03:56:12 PDT 2012

I'm finding that the new OSM Driver (I tested again with r24699) has a problem when working with the whole planet file. When I tried with the US Northeast subset, I got multipolygons and multilinestring entries. When reading the whole planet file, I did not. It gets to 70% and then ends (but without an error message). I also got fewer polygons than I was expecting. It seems like the reading got interrupted by some non reported error.

I was writing to Oracle for this importing but got the same results writing to sqlite. It seems that smaller extracts work fine but the are some reading issues with the whole planet file (in pbf format). I can try with the .osm format.