[gdal-dev] New OGR driver: Imageset

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 24 08:33:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> Metadata (EXIF):
> [...]
>   EXIF_GPSLatitude=(77) (5) (60)
>   EXIF_GPSLatitudeRef=S
>   EXIF_GPSLongitude=(34) (12) (0)
>   EXIF_GPSLongitudeRef=E
> [..]
>
> Are you thinking to other raster formats to extract EXIF info from? To my
> knowledge, the JPEG driver, and recently the GTiff driver, are the only one
> that extract EXIF for now. I see that the JPEG driver exposes it in the
> default metadata domain, whereas I chose EXIF for the GTiff driver. For GTiff,
> the specific EXIF metadata domain seemed better to me to avoid 'polluting' the
> default metadata domain, but I didn't want to change the JPEG driver at that
> point. But this would probably requires some harmonization.

Even,

I'm not convinced that a distinct EXIF domain is the best way to go.
Non-default metadata domains are often not carried with images
during translation or other processing and are (imho) more appropriate
for data that would no longer apply to transformed imagery or that is
bulky and of very limited interest.

The EXIF metadata - at least the geolocation portions - is very relevant
even after many kinds of transformation, is not too bulky and is very
interesting to preserve.  Instead i'd be inclined to identify the EXIF
info as "well known" metadata names for the default domain.

Best regards