[gdal-dev] compiling gdal with hdf4 (all from sources)

Conrad Bielski conrad_bielski at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 06:12:04 PDT 2012

Hi,
I need to compile gdal with the HDF4-EOS extensions which I downloaded from here:
http://newsroom.gsfc.nasa.gov/sdptoolkit/TKDownload.html

Now the problem is similar to one mentioned back in Sat Feb 25 11:09:32 EST 2012 where compilation stopped due to the following error:
hdf4imagedataset.cpp: In member function 'void HDF4ImageDataset::GetSwatAttrs(int32)':
hdf4imagedataset.cpp:1723: error: 'SWsdid' was not declared in this scope
hdf4imagedataset.cpp: In member function 'void HDF4ImageDataset::GetGridAttrs(int32)':
hdf4imagedataset.cpp:1833: error: 'GDsdid' was not declared in this scope
hdf4imagedataset.cpp: In member function 'int HDF4ImageDataset::ProcessSwathGeolocation(int32, char**)':
hdf4imagedataset.cpp:2218: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
hdf4imagedataset.cpp:2240: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
hdf4imagedataset.cpp:2252: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*'
make[2]: *** [../o/hdf4imagedataset.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [hdf4-install-obj] Error 2
make: *** [frmts-target] Error 2

Now the difference is that I'm not compiling on Ubuntu but rather Mac OSX Lion (10.7.4) but obviously there is an issue with the gdal includes. Is there a fix for this?

Background: the normal gdal hdf4 driver does not handle MISR imagery correctly so I was hoping to include the newest HDF-EOS drivers into my gdal install.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Conrad :)