[gdal-dev] Error handlers in Python bindings

lpinner Luke.Pinner at environment.gov.au
Sat Jul 28 00:43:25 PDT 2012

>> The python function needs to accept three arguments, error class, error
code
>> and error message.
>>
>> i.e.
>> from osgeo import gdal
>> def f(err_class, err_code, msg):
>>     print err_class, err_code, msg
>>
>> gdal.PushErrorHandler(f)
>
>Reviewing the Python bindings code, I see no evidence that Python error
handlers
>are possible. An option is to use gdal.UseExceptions() which will cause a
Python
>exception to be thrown after a GDAL call has emitted an error.

Sorry for the late reply, I fired off my original reply without testing it
actually worked.  It seems this functionality is no longer available (maybe
with the change to the new style bindings?) or maybe it never worked in the
first place.  My original reply was based on a post from Frank on gdal-dev
_quite_ a few years ago -
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2003-March/000323.html