[gdal-dev] OSM Driver and World Planet file (pbf format)

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sat Jul 28 04:39:48 PDT 2012

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> I've commited in r24707 a change that is mainly a custom indexation mechanism
> for nodes (can be disabled with OSM_USE_CUSTOM_INDEXING=NO) to improve
> performances (Improve them about by a factor of 2 on a 1 GB PBF on my PC)

I had a try with finland.osm.pbf and germany.osm.pbf with Windows 64-bit
binaries containing that change. Conversion of the Finnish OSM data with
ogr2ogr and the default osmconf.ini into Spatialite format took about 5 minutes
and it was a minute or two faster than it used to be. Conversion of German data
took 17 hours and it was a about as slow as before.
I guess it may be the output to spatialite format that gets so slow when
database size gets bigger. CPU usage was only couple of percents during
the last 10 hours and process took only 100-200 MB of memory.
What other output format could you recommend for testing?

-Jukka Rahkonen-