[gdal-dev] GDAL spatial reference issue

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:05:26 PDT 2012

A few ESRI ids correspond to ESRI authid codes - but not all so it's
not fool-proof...

Assuming the esri code DOES correspond to EPSG code, you would
basically use OSRImportFromEPSG( <latestWkid>)

In your example, the    "latestWkid" : 3857 corresponds to EPSG:3857
which is the WGS 84 / Pseudo-Mercator
and       "wkid" : 102100 is the "old" id which has been replaced by 3857

see:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=984&t=288607
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8762-WGS-1984-Web-Mercator-(Auxiliary-Sphere)-WKID-102100

Frank - this may require yet another ESRI-OGC translation scheme!

Many (but by all means not all) ESRI srid correspond to EPSG authids,
but not in the upper range....

Etienne