[gdal-dev] Cannot read NetCDF subdatasets

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 03:10:57 PDT 2012

Hi all

While I can succesfully read NetCDF in Mint 12 (my development
environment), I cannot manage to read the subdatasets in REL5 (the
production server).

In REL5 I can succesfully read the NetCDF dataset with gdalinfo:

gdalinfo /my/full/path/mydataset.nc4

But if I try reading a subdataset, I get the following error (CPL_DEBUG is ON):

$ gdalinfo NETCDF:"/my/full/path/mydataset.nc4":MY_VAR
GDAL_netCDF:
=====
calling nc_open(/my/full/path/mydataset.nc4 )

GDAL: GDALClose(NETCDF:/my/full/path/mydataset.nc4:MY_VAR, this=0x85177f8)
ERROR 4: `NETCDF:/my/full/path/mydataset.nc4:MY_VAR' does not exist in
the file system,
and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.

gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'NETCDF:/my/full/path/mydataset.nc4:MY_VAR'.
GDAL: In GDALDestroy - unloading GDAL shared library.

Some more information on my system configuration:

$ rpm -qa hdf5*
hdf5-1.8.7-1.el5.rf
hdf5-devel-1.8.7-1.el5.rf

$ gdalinfo --version
GDAL 1.9.0, released 2011/12/29

$ gdalinfo --formats | grep -i cdf
  GMT (rw): GMT NetCDF Grid Format
  netCDF (rw+): Network Common Data Format

$ gdalinfo --formats | grep -i hdf
  HDF4 (ro): Hierarchical Data Format Release 4
  HDF4Image (rw+): HDF4 Dataset
  HDF5 (ro): Hierarchical Data Format Release 5
  HDF5Image (ro): HDF5 Dataset

any ideas? Is it possible that I am missing any dependency?
thanks so much

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net