[gdal-dev] Updating shapefile "fields" name with ogr2ogr

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Jun 22 08:55:39 PDT 2012

I've also found this very confusing and unexpected.  Once I did figure
it out it has been very useful.  Could

ogrinfo CHEMIN.shp -sql "ALTER TABLE CHEMIN RENAME COLUMN prec_alti TO foo"

or similar be added as an example to http://gdal.org/ogrinfo.html and
perhaps also as a 'note about ogrinfo with OGR SQL' on
http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_sql.html?

Perhaps http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_sql.html could be updated from:

-sql statement:
    Execute the indicated SQL statement and return the result.

to something like:

-sql statement:
    Execute the indicated SQL statement and return the result. In
place updates (ALTER TABLE) are also permitted.

Eli