[gdal-dev] Re: Can PDF measuring be activated

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Mar 2 15:37:22 EST 2012

Le vendredi 02 mars 2012 12:53:39, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:
> > Le jeudi 01 mars 2012 22:19:34, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The native measurement tool of Acrobat Reader stays greyed with the ISO
> > > style georeferenced PDFs. From Abobe forum I found this:
> > >
> > > "Re: Measure tool disabled
> >
> > Ah, interesting. I was also wondering why I add only access to
> > coordinates display.

> > At the very least, a sample that has
> > gone through the enabling system in Acrobat would make it easier to know
> > if it is feasable or not.
>
> http://latuviitta.org/documents/GDAL_ISO+OGC_3067_enabled.pdf

Ok, looking at it confirms my initial feeling. I believe that it is not
possible, due to the use of cryptography mechanism to protect the associated
permission.

Well, it might be possible if you have access the private signing key of
Adobe. But this is not an encouragement to anyone to try to access to it...
Make sure you know the Law before.

Or it is perhaps doable if you have a proper X.509 certificate, use it when
signing the doc and register it in Adobe Reader as a trusted certificate.

Well, it is interesting to see that even if the PDF spec is open, such DRM
mechanism can make it use similar as to if it was closed.