[gdal-dev] Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Mar 5 16:45:27 EST 2012

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> There's no support for generating PDF layers in the GDAL or MapServer drivers.
> Could be perhaps be done in GDAL, but it is not obvious which GDAL concept
> would map to a PDF layer. As far as MapServer Cairo/PDF driver is concerned,
> this is not technically feasable (without rewriting a new MapServer backend) :
> the PDF code is generated by Cairo and, AFAIK, Cairo PDF backend doesn't
> support layers.

I know only one open source GIS software which creates PDF files with layers. It
is SkyJUMP by Larry Becker and I have added a sample to Geoserver feature
suggestion some time ago
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-3640

The jira issue has has a sample image as an attachment
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/attachment/45741/SkyJUMP.pdf

and a comment that layers are selectable with Acrobat Reader but not with all
readers. I know that SkyJUMP is makind PDF with iText and layers are raster
layers. The image is fine and worth having a look.

-Jukka Rahkonen-