[gdal-dev] Re: [WFS Drvier] "Id Only" and "Geometry Only"

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:46:36 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:

> It does not seem to be quite possible.
> This one brings gml_id and geometry even geometry is not included in the
> selection. I would not complain about it, geometry with ID is worth more than
> geometry without ID.
>
> ogrinfo  wfs:http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows -sql "select gml_id from
> municipalities"

Hi Jukka,

just realized that you are definitely right.
Using the -geom and -fields parameters in ogrinfo, or selecting fields
via virtual driver, will let the OGR model abstraction work (and hide
the fields in the OGR features), but full request are still performed
to the WFS server.

For example, with the previous virtual driver, the GetFieldCount
method in the feature definition gives the number of only the selected
fields (2: field1 and field2), but the GetFeatureInfo request
performed to the WFS server still returns the whole field value set.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti