[gdal-dev] Performance problems

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 03:41:20 EDT 2012

Folks,

This is a broader question, but maybe somebody can help. I've set up a
simple WFS based on GDAL with Perl bindings. The service loads a dataset
from PostGIS copies it into a GML dataset in memory and serves it from
there. Nice clean solution and works well. Then I tried to use it in a
student exercise. The server (RHEL5, Apache 2.2.3) I use for this
purpose is not very resourceful and WFS set up this way easily uses a
lot of memory. Thus, when 10 students all made requests at the same
time, all memory was used (apache logs have "Out of memory!" - I'm not
sure where this comes from) and the service did not work (QGIS reacted
by turning gray ad had to be killed).

Is there a way to refuse starting a service if there are not enough
resources? This would lead to a much nicer response than gray QGIS.

Ari