[gdal-dev] Re: Mapinfo driver does not recognise certain datums properly

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 17:38:21 EDT 2012

Hi Devs,

Got no answer, so I call up this thread for discussion again.

In fact the approach of identifying datums by the mapinfo driver (by using
the WKT name) is quite fragile causing problems for me and for others in
the past as well, for example with the issues described in:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/481
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3187

In 3187 the problem was attempted to be solved by extending the lookup
table by using multiple entries for the same datum having different names.
However this approach is quite insufficient since there's no official list
of the valid WKT datum names (which may also be vendor specific) and the
datum names are also altered by gdal ie. by replacing spaces with
underscores.

The patch<http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/attachment/ticket/481/gdal-mitab-datum-2.patch>attached
#481 <http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/481> looks more compelling to me as
it seems more trivial to identify the datums by EPSG code (where exists)
and not only by the datum name.

Any objections to apply such change in gdal (mitab) at last?

Best regards,

Tamas