[gdal-dev] Re: [Qgis-user] Re: QGIS + Inkscape

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 04:30:37 EDT 2012

On 03/19/2012 10:04 AM, G. Allegri wrote:
> I agree with Jukka.
> Working to a lower level of binding (through GDAL/OGR) would let other
> foss software leavarage the improvements.
> I don't know Inkscape very much, but I've tried to import the latter
> example from Jukka (the multilayer PDF) and it keeps the layers correctly.
> Working on the GDAL level is probably harder then doing the work on
> the Python level directly between Qgis and Inkscape, but I feel it
> would be far most used and useful to improve the GDAL PDF support...

I agree too, but would like to see SVG better supported in GDAL. Right
now there seems to be only read support. Some years ago I made some
tests using librsvg and GDAL and writing glue code in Perl. It works and
the basics are not difficult but with styles and rasters it gets more
complicated.

librsvg seems to me the best choice for the low level library to use.

gdal-dev cc'd.

Ari