[gdal-dev] gdalwarp eats scale and offset

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 18:08:05 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Kyle Shannon <ksshannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have a dataset with a scale and offset:
> I couldn't find any docs on this. Is this known and/or expected? I would
> think scale and offset would be transferred to the new file.

Kyle,

Scale and offset are basically a form of metadata, and it is ambiguous
how much metadata gets transferred by processing tasks, like gdalwarp.
In cases where gdalwarp is being used to warp into an existing output
file it would not be appropriate to transfer the scale and offset.
However, in the case that gdalwarp is initializing a new output file
it would seem reasonable to also copy over the scale and offset.

I believe some recent changes were made to copy other metadata,
and this would seem to fall into a similar category.  I'd suggest
fixing yourself, or writing up a ticket on the topic.