[gdal-dev] shifting (or snapping) one raster to another

Derek Morgan jdmorgan at unca.edu
Thu Mar 22 22:12:40 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am in a jam with ArcGIS, and am hoping there is a easier way to do
this with GDAL.  Here is the situation:  I am converting a vector
dataset of county polygons to raster at a pixel resolution of 231 m.
However, I want this to line up with a different raster dataset I have
at a much larger extent, but also the same resolution 231 m. As you
probably guessed the two datasets are slightly askew as they have
different extents.  I would like to align the newly created county
raster with the larger raster data set by shifting (or snapping) it to
the closest pixels.  Hopefully, this makes enough sense for someone to
let me know if this can be done in GDAL.

Thanks ahead of time,
Derek