[gdal-dev] shifting (or snapping) one raster to another

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:20:07 EDT 2012

Derek,

Since you are rasterizing vectors, you can get the best results if you do
it onto the original raster or a blank raster created based on the extents
of the original raster. The key here is to create a georeferenced raster
prior to burning the vector onto it.
You can create a raster that fits perfectly with the original.

GDAL has a simple rasterization utility that can burn vectors onto a raster
image  directly.
You can use gdalbuildvrt to create a raster with modified extents.

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Derek Morgan <jdmorgan at unca.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in a jam with ArcGIS, and am hoping there is a easier way to do
> this with GDAL.  Here is the situation:  I am converting a vector
> dataset of county polygons to raster at a pixel resolution of 231 m.
> However, I want this to line up with a different raster dataset I have
> at a much larger extent, but also the same resolution 231 m. As you
> probably guessed the two datasets are slightly askew as they have
> different extents.  I would like to align the newly created county
> raster with the larger raster data set by shifting (or snapping) it to
> the closest pixels.  Hopefully, this makes enough sense for someone to
> let me know if this can be done in GDAL.
>
> Thanks ahead of time,
> Derek

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584