[gdal-dev] GDAL Tiling

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:00:35 EDT 2012

Akhy,

1) Raster block size is a readonly property. The only way to change it is
to create a new dataset with the new block size. For a tiff image you can
use the creation options TILED, BLOCKXSIZE and BLOCKYSIZE [1].
2) You can read the raster any way you want using the GDALRasterIO() and
GDALDatasetRasterIO() functions. You can set the X and Y sizes.

[1]: http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM, akshay gupta <akshaygupta202 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have few questions regarding GDAL tiling and overviews.
>
> 1) Is there any In build direct function in GDAL from where i can set the
> size of the tiles(raster block size).
> 2)I an facing an strange situation. I have an TIFF image, and I am trying
> to read it block by block using ReadBlock(). When i read block from the
> band of the original dataset(GDALDataset I get when i call GDALOpen() ), I
> get a tile which is of size Width X 1 but if i create overviews and then
> call ReadBlock() on the band extracted from the first overview i get square
> tiles(Blocks). Can any body tell me why is this happening, Is there any way
> of getting square tiles of same size irrespective of whether i call
> ReadBlock() on original Dataset or on the overview level.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Akhy Hückelheim

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584