[gdal-dev] Upgraded to 1.9 - Python Bindings Error

Jay L. jzl5325 at psu.edu
Fri May 4 21:16:51 EDT 2012

List,

Just upgraded to 1.9.0 on my windows 7 machine and I can no longer access
gdal via the python bindings.  Command line (ogr2ogr, gdalinfo, etc. are
functioning as expected).  Specifically, running 'from osgeo import gdal',
returns:

File "C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0\lib\site-packages\osgeo\__init.py__", line 17,
in
swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_gdal', fp, pathname, descritpion)
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

GDAL 1.8 was working wonderfully with ArcGIS.  No environmental variables
were altered between installations.  Path still contains C:\Program Files
(x86)\GDAL and GDAL_DATA is stills set to C:\Program Files
(x86)\GDAL\gdal-data.

I did try adding the PYTHONPATH variable and setting that to
C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0, but no change in the error.

GDAL1.9 and the python bindings were downloaded from
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/ (the MSVC2010-32bit stable version).

Oddly, the gdal python utilities are functioning.  That is gdal2tiles.py
for example.

Any suggestions appreciated.  I assume a PATH error that I am missing, but
am stumped.  The mailing list archives were sparse on this error...

Thanks,
Jay