[gdal-dev] TiffAppendToStrip errors with uncompressed output

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue May 8 05:21:08 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have some LZW compressed paletted 8-bit tiff files which I look throuhg a .vrt
file. I have been taking some timings with different gdal_translate parameters
but for some reason the most common command fails always for me. The result is

gdal_translate -of GTiff test.vrt uncompressed.tif

Input file size is 96000, 48000
0...10...20...30ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 14650
ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 14650
ERROR 1: An error occured while writing a dirty block
ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 14664
ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 14664

The error is the same with tiled and untiled output.  However, if I use -co
tiled=yes the error occurs always at scanline 5888 and without tiling it occurs
at scanline 14650. Changing GDAL_CACHEMAX value does not change anything.

I use compressed output there are no troubles at all. I have verified it with
LZW and packbits compression, with and without tiling and I get no errors ever.

I can make a zip from the originals for downloading if someone is interested in
having a look.

I am on Windows XP and GDAL is from Gisinternals, downloaded in April 24.
Program is listing the version as GDAL 1.9.0, released 2011/12/29 but I do not
quite believe it. Aren't the Gisinternals builds coming from trunk?

-Jukka Rahkonen-