[gdal-dev] Re: TiffAppendToStrip errors with uncompressed output [SOLVED]

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed May 9 06:13:06 EDT 2012

Ahem,

It seems to be so that compression makes resulting tiff files smaller.  In some
cases they can then fit to almost full disk even there is not enough room for an
uncompressed version.

An explanation for why I did not notice that disk was too full was that the LZW
compression is so effective for this dataset. The difference is as big as 272 MB
with LZW compression and 4500 MB as uncompressed. The tiff driver error message
is not most obvious either
TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 14650

The error message from HFA driver was pretty easy to interpret:
ERROR3: Failed to extend imgtest.ige to full size
likely out of disk space.
No space left on device.

This makes me think about two improvements:
- Make GTiff driver to give better understandable error message when disk
 gets full
- In case of uncompressed tiff output, make driver to test beforehand if
there is enough disk space for the target image

I would guess that sometimes the latter could prevent some frustration caused by
a many hours conversion job going in vain because of running out of disk space.

-Jukka Rahkonen-