[gdal-dev] Force bounding box test for spatial filter in OGR

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun May 13 05:42:53 EDT 2012

Hi Frank

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me it would be a huge win in some cases to
> extend that so if none of the segments could possible
> intersect the envelope then we can be sure there is
> no intersection and return FALSE without any use of
> GEOS.  In fact, I don't see why we can't actually
> completely implement intersection tests for geometries
> with an envelope "inline" and fairly fast without any use
> of GEOS.  We would only need to fallback to using GEOS
> for complex filter geometries that are not envelopes.

Indeed this would be even better solution. Line segment vs. box
(envelope) intersection could be much less expensive [1], in addition
to the gain of not having to convert geometries to GEOS..

> I think if we do this we could avoid any special
> configuration options.
>
> Let me know if you want to pursue this.  If not, I will.

This gets a bit out of the scope of what I wanted to focus on, so I
would pass it on to you...

Regards
Martin