[gdal-dev] Re: TiffAppendToStrip errors with uncompressed output [SOLVED]

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun May 13 17:02:00 EDT 2012

Even Rouault wrote:

>> - In case of uncompressed tiff output, make driver to test beforehand if
>> there is enough disk space for the target image

> I'm not aware of a portable way of doing that (I haven't searched a lot
> though). For the record, I've tried the following trick : seek to the offset
> that should be the end of the uncompressed file and write a byte. But on Linux,
> due to the way the file system works, this does not work as expected, because
> 'skipped' sectors are not allocated at all, so it just needs the size for one
> byte (actually a sector I guess), and not the full file size... We could write
> 0's to the file, but that would defeat the purpose of a quick check.

I do not know it if it is portable or not, but on Windows the above mentioned HFA
driver throw that error message in the beginning of the process before it started
to make the conversion. It looked like it was initialising the .ige spill file and checking
the disk space at the same.

-Jukka Rahkonen-