[gdal-dev] Roadmap to 2.0?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 18 13:51:37 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The deadline for 2.0 is at the end of this year:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/milestone/2.0.0

Ari,

Lets not take this deadline too seriously.  If it takes
till summer 2013 for 2.0 that is ok (IMHO).

> Is the RFC list the best source for what new features are planned for it?
>
> This page is about smaller issues for 2.0:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes
>
> I have an old wish to have full XYZM support in GDAL and it would be a good
> candidate to the plan for 2.0 - see also
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org/msg13470.html
> Is anybody doing a review of what it would take?

I believe XYZM support would be a great feature for 2.0 and ideally
would be part of an upgrade to the more recent "simple features geometry"
model that includes various other geometry types.

I'm not sure who might want to take on this task though.  It isn't
currently a focus of mine even though I'd like to see it happen.

We aren't really a Roadmap kind of project, but I welcome discussion
of things we would like to accomplish in 2.0 which is our opportunity
for substantial changes.