SV: [gdal-dev] Microsoft VS 2010 - build of GDAL 1.9 does not work

James Farrell James.Farrell at delorme.com
Mon May 21 10:41:37 EDT 2012

Not sure I'm doing this correctly, I don't see how to respond to a particular thread in this forum...

I'm wrestling with the same problem as the thread in the subject line:
error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: int __thiscall CPLStringList::Count(void)const "

GDAL itself builds perfectly when I build according to the instructions.  Then I attempt to build one of our projects that uses cpl_string.h and .cpp, and when I attempt to link I get the above error.

I've looked at cpl_string.h and found a class declaration for CPLStringList that was not there in the previous version we used (we skipped a few versions).  Within the class declaration is
  public:
    CPLStringList();
    CPLStringList( char **papszList, int bTakeOwnership=TRUE );
    CPLStringList( const CPLStringList& oOther );
    ~CPLStringList();

    CPLStringList &Clear();

    int    size() const { return Count(); }
    int    Count() const;

I cannot find a definition for Count() anywhere.

We are not using CPLStringList in our code, but there is other code within GDAL that uses it.  Are we supposed to make our own Count() function?  Where is this supposed to live?

Thanks
James Farrell