[gdal-dev] troubles with OVERRIDE_PROJ_DATUM_WITH_TOWGS84

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Wed May 23 04:45:25 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:47:13AM +0200, G. Allegri wrote:
> > Giovanni,
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't really follow your point.  Are you wanting to
> > be able to do something like -t_srs GFOSSIT:3033 ?
>
> No Frank, that would be a hell! :)
> I was just thinking about the relation that can be assumed between the
> epsg strings produced by gdal and the epsg codes from the EPSG
> registry. I mean, if I say that I'm using an EPSG:3003, it's different
> if I assume it in its original definition (without transformation
> parameters) and the one produced by gdal (with a best available
> transformation).
> For anything custom I would strictly use the rule of using code ranges
> beyon 32767, and to avoid clashes an authority field would help.

I would also add that changing any EPSG (non custom) code description (e.g. by assuming
a datum whenever it is not assumed for any official code) could be possibly
seen as a license violation (point 2 of the license). At least it seems a
bit strange assuming a datum when no datum is specified on purpose as in many codes.
Of course IMHO and IANAL.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine