[gdal-dev] MapInfo Geometry Precision Issues

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Sat May 26 05:04:49 PDT 2012

Murali,

The mapinfo driver is not known for creating datasets with good precision.
Projected coordinates can have an error of up to 0.02

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mitab.html
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/ogr/ogr_mitab.py#L106

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Murali Krishna
<muralikrishna50 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm trying to create a MapInfo file using gdal ogr java bindings (version
> 1.9.0) with some point geometries.
> However the geometries in the created MapInfo file doesn't actually match
> with the values which i have used in creation.
>
> For example, I create a MapInfo feature with a point geometry and with the
> following coordinates:
> X = 196153.123
> Y= 272453.6789
>
> When i read the same feature back, GDAL gives the following as coordinates
> for the same feature:
> X = 196153.12630125193
> Y = 272453.67830354505
>
> Any reason why MapInfo driver changes these coordinates?
>
> Thanks in advance

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584
17.2416N 80.1426E