[gdal-dev] how to convert shapefile to netcdf?

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon May 28 12:31:38 PDT 2012

I guess somewhat off topic for a devel list.... but my 02c

I'd use ogr2ogr to convert the shapefile to a GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) format vector file & use GMT to create the (COARDS compliant) netCDF grid file from the vector data.

GMT has several approaches possible, including triangulation, splines with tension, nearest neighbour, etc. You can use tools to convert polygons to grid values (much like gdalrasterize), or treat all the vertices as scattered point values...

If your global grid is also COARDS compliant, you can probably use GMT tools & some relatively simple scripting, to carry out the grid math/overlay operations as well.

Cheers,

   Brent Wood