[gdal-dev] Which version number for the next GDAL release : 1.10 or 2.0 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Nov 7 11:17:08 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm wondering if we shouldn't release GDAL trunk as GDAL 1.10 instead of GDAL
2.0.

As far as I know, there haven't been yet any change in GDAL trunk that
qualifies as a major re-architecturing, or that breaks the C API & ABI of the
GDAL 1.X series. I'm not sure if or when someone will want to tackle one of
the items listed in http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes , but this
would likely defer a release by months, especially if we want a GDAL 2.0 with
a number of significant changes. And sticking with our traditional yearly
release rythm seems to me like a good practice. Current trunk has nothing
revolutionary, but a nice amount of new drivers and fixes/improvements that are
worth a release.

Thoughts ?

Regards,

Even