[gdal-dev] Images/datasets with bands with different properties

David Strip gdal at stripfamily.net
Thu Nov 8 20:13:40 PST 2012

I was looking at the API and it appears, that at least in principle a
multi-band dataset (and hence the associated input file) could have
bands with different data types since the type is a property of the
band, not the dataset. Does this actually happen "in the wild"? If so,
what file types support this scenario?

Likewise, the bands apparently can have different size rasters (in terms
of pixel counts), since the raster size is a property of the band. On
the other hand, the dataset also has a raster size, as well as the
overall properties of the raster, such as the geo-location of the origin
and the size of the pixels. If the band doesn't match the dataset
properties, what do we know about origin, pixel size, etc? If these
situations don't exist in real datasets, then I'm not particularly
concerned. In fact, I'd be happiest if someone could tell me to just
ignore these issues because they don't happen in real life.