[gdal-dev] another multi-band question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 9 18:50:02 PST 2012

On 12-11-09 06:36 PM, David Strip wrote:
> In a followup to my previous question about property differences across bands
> in a multiband images -
> The No Data Value and color table are both per-band properties. Do any file
> types (other than VRTs) support bands with differences in these properties? The
> file type I'm most familiar with is geotiff, which has these properties at the
> file (dataset) level.

David,

Most, or at least many, formats that support nodata values support them
at the per-band level.  I can't give a very solid answer for color tables.
at least some formats that support color tables also restrict things to
one band for colormapped images (ie. PNG, GeoTIFF) so whether you consider
it a per-band or per-file attribute is not so clear.