[gdal-dev] ImportError when importing gdal module with python 2.7 on Windows 7 64-bit

nnneogeorge nnneogeorge at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:59:19 PST 2012

Hey guys,

I am using the python 2.7.3 64b, with the GDAL 64b (tried both 19 & 20
versions) under windows 7 64b, I have followed all the steps here

http://www.gis.usu.edu/~chrisg/python/2009/docs/gdal_win.pdf

and here

http://pythongisandstuff.wordpress.com/2011/07/07/installing-gdal-and-ogr-for-python-on-windows/

took the software from here

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1400-x64-gdal-mapserver.zip

And experimented with all the possible folder paths, added in the
Environmental Variable... the modules osGEo and gdal are both in the list of
python (I can check through > help ("modules") , but when I ask for more
information on these, it throws the following error

######
problem in osgeo - <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: DLL load failed: The
specified module could not be found.
######

ofcourse the same goes when I try to import gdal ,I m getting the following
message:

####
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
import gdal
File "C:\Python27\lib\gdal.py", line 2, in <module>
from osgeo.gdal import deprecation_warn
File "C:\Python27\lib\osgeo\__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
_gdal = swig_import_helper()
File "C:\Python27\lib\osgeo\__init__.py", line 17, in swig_import_helper
_mod = imp.load_module('_gdal', fp, pathname, description)
####

Which I guess should understand that the dll that supposed to be created,
well hasnt...

Checked manually and yeap its true, couldnt find it -

Then I tried to check if the path was right for sure, so opening the windows
console and typing "set" gave me the list with the path variables --> all
right.

Also the osgeo command-line works perfectly fine.

Any ideas or things to try more than welcome...

Thanks a lot,

George.