[gdal-dev] Speed up gdaltranslate for really big tiffs

Billy Newman newmanw10 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:56:09 PST 2012

In general I having problems generating big tiffs in a timely manner.

I also have the following scenario in which I am trying to create an
overview tiff from some already existing tiffs.

image.tif (524288, 262144)
image.tif.ovr
image.tif.ovr.ovr
image.tif.ovr.ovr.ovr
image.tif.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr
image.tif.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr
image.tif.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr
image.tif.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr
image.tif.ovr..ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr.ovr

Each overview is a factor of 2 smaller.

When I create the final tiff with overviews:

gdal_translate image.tif image_w_overview.tif -co COPY_SRC_OVERVIEWS=YES

I assume that the destination tiff needs to be completely recreated.
This is taking a really long time.  > day.

Any ideas on how I can create this final overview tiff in a more
timely manner as well.

Is my file just too big to expect the overview to be created faster?

Thanks again!