[gdal-dev] gdal 1.9 path problem when I using special characters

Konstantin Baumann Konstantin.Baumann at autodesk.com
Tue Nov 20 08:33:27 PST 2012

Hi,

we were running into the same issues and solved it by this workaround: use Windows 8.3 filenames and paths for ECW files:

        // WORKAROUND for either a GDAL issue or an issue within the ECW library used by GDAL:
        // when opening ECW files with unicode chars in the filename or pathname, the returned
        // pixels are (sometimes) corrupted; opening the same file with the corresponding
        // windows "8.3" filename everything works as expected...
        // for the "8.3" filename conversion have a look here:
        //     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364989%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
        std::wstring uri = ...;
        if(StringUtils::EndsWith(uri.c_str(), L".ecw")) {
            wchar_t ecwShortName[MAX_PATH];
            if(::GetShortPathName(uri.c_str(), ecwShortName, MAX_PATH) > 0) {
                uri = ecwShortName;
            }
        }

Not nice, but for us it works so far...