[gdal-dev] Space in PDF option OGR_DISPLAY_LAYER_NAMES

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Nov 28 01:36:19 PST 2012

> I apologize and try to be more explicit in the future.

No pb. In an ideal world, the regression would have been catched by the
automated regression tests, but as it only showed in Acrobat and not with
poppler rendering, this is not really doable.

> I repeated the test with r25261 and layer names with spaces are
> OK and model tree works also for the labeled layers.   Model tree also shows
> non-ASCII characters in layer names now which is nice.

Great.

Note that for texts in LABELs, there's a limitation to the ASCII character set.
(Font and text management in PDF is really intimidating and would probably
require some helper library)

> I have tested almost all the options of the PDF driver, most important
> exception being  EXTRA_STREAM which seems to be something that a
> regular power user can't test.  Everything looks good to me now.

Yes EXTRA_STREAM is admitedly not aimed at novice end-users. It is mostly
something that an application developer could use to add some custom PDF content
(title, legend, etc..). However if you want to play with it, you can have a look
at the pdf_custom_layout() (around line 1275) of
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/gdrivers/pdf.py that adds some
ungeoreferenced text to the page. With a bit of curiosity, you could make some
sense of it by looking at "Appendix A - Operator Summary" of
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_reference_1-7.pdf and following the
links for the operators of interest.

Even