[gdal-dev] Odd behavior with OGR2OGR and arcSDE - tries to copy multiple layers.

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed Sep 5 16:11:25 PDT 2012

If I copy a set from sde to postgis with:

ogr2ogr -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=myhost user=myuser dbname=mydb
password=************** port=5432" -nln postgis_name
SDE:SDE,5151,,*******,****,sde_name

then the process works but then it comes with a message
FAILED: layer aready exists and -append not specified, but reports that
it is trying to copy a completely different layer from the one specified
in SDE. It is a valid sde layer. If I put -overwrite switch in, then
something even more curious happens. It appears to go through all the
layers in sde and one by one replaces the postgis layer with each (I
discovered by interrupting the process or looking at data in postgis).

I am using GDAL from stable version of MS4W, with the sde dlls for
arcSDE 9.3

--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232