[gdal-dev] how to create an image with a colortable?

Samantha Goodchild-Brown samanthag at geograph.co.za
Tue Sep 25 23:53:50 PDT 2012

I need to change a greyscale image to Palette and specify the colors to
use for specific values.

However I am getting very confused with all the 'comments' and
references and instructions

eg.
In "
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQRaster#Howtocreateormodifyanimagecolortable"
it is explained how to edit a VRT to make a new tif with a color palette
of your choice.
However in later 'fishings' I saw someone mention that this doesn't work
and that the only way to do it is with scripting or programming.

I am now also trying as it seems to be the simplest method but I am also
failing.

Other tickets etc that come close are in the region of 4 years old etc
and way over my head.

Besides the obvious (gdal error messages), can anyone tell me why this
is happening? what I need to tweek? if a fix is on the way? is it still
valid that the only workaround is with scripting?
Does anyone know of another open source method that doesn't involve
scripting?

Many thanks
Sam