[gdal-dev] gdal 1.8 and ERDAS ECW Read-Write SDK problem

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Sep 26 08:26:57 PDT 2012

Selon netcadturgay <turgay.osna at netcad.com.tr>:

> I have builded Gdal 1.8 library with "ERDAS ECWJP2 SDK Desktop Read-Write"
> and build is ended with a successfull. But when I try to open a ECW file in
> update mode, I have an error.
>
> Error: The ECW driver does not support update access to existing datasets.
>
> Any suggesstion about this problem ? I have also set ECW_ENCODE_KEY and
> ECW_ENCODE_COMPANY.

In GDAL 1.8, the ECW driver doesn't support update in place of existing ECW or
JP2 files. However, with the read-write ECW SDK, you can "CreateCopy"/translate
a source image into a new ECW or JP2.

In GDAL 1.9, the ECW driver supports a limited editing in place of existing
files, but this is restricted to a few things that are found in the ECW header
(projection, datum, georeferenced extent), but not the imagery itself. (And I'm
not sure that the SDK would make it possible to update existing imagery)