[gdal-dev] Feature request: gauss and other interpolations in gdalwarp

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 14:54:58 PDT 2013

Hi Even,

Thanks for your input

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org>wrote:

> Le mardi 09 avril 2013 19:06:28, Etienne Tourigny a écrit :
> > I have committed new warping methods average and mode to trunk, this will
> > be part of gdal-1.10
>
> Hi Etienne,
>
> It would be good if you could extend the autotest suite to add tests for
> those
> new warping methods. For that, you can likely take inspiration from the
> first
> tests of autotest/warp/warp.py. "Reference" images based on utmsmall.tif
> reference image is a bit big, but you can likely start from a smaller
> source
> image like byte.tif instead that will produce reference images of
> reasonable
> size to be put in svn.

I will do that, thanks

> Regarding nAlgo == 2 (mode with foating point data), the allocations of
> pafVals and panSums have the potential to fail if warping is done on a
> large
> image whose floating point values are rarely identical. So I think that
> VSIRealloc shoud be used instead with a test on the result to fail
> properly.
> I'm also a bit doubtfull about the practical usefulness of this case on
> real
> data. There might also be a performance issue due to the loop "//Check
> array
> for existing entry" that is at the most inner level of the algorithm.
> Unless
> you have a practical use case, my personnal opinion would be to refuse to
> run
> mode resampling on floating point data, or implement it with a tolerance
> parameter to avoid strict floating point comparison (if that makes sense),
> but
> even that wouldn't guarantee reasonable performance and memory consumption.

The logic was copied from existing code for overviews...
It is rather inefficient when dealing with floating-point or even integer
(16/32 bits).

You are right that it is not really practical, but I decided to go ahead
and implement it anyway.
Mostly I implemented it to deal with 16 and 32 bit integers, and was lazy
to implement an integer-only solution.

So here is my suggestion : modify this to use 32-bit integers instead, and
refuse to run with floating-point data.
The same could be done to overviews, although that *might* cause some
regressions (although as you point out, mode resampling doesn't make sense
for floating-point data).
Or another solution is to implement a new integer algorithm, and leave the
floating-point one around but print a warning.

> As far as mode resampling is concerned, it would likely run correctly for
> images with color tables, so I believe that the warning in gdalwarp.cpp at
> line 1048 could be shut down in that case too (in addition to nearest
> resampling)

I have tested with a color table, and mode resampling does work. I forgot
to update gdalwarp for this case, thanks.