[gdal-dev] 1.10 Issues with Geocing API and OSM Driver

Dennis Gocke dengo at gmx.net
Thu Apr 18 01:47:58 PDT 2013

Hi,

I’ve encountered some issues. My tests are done with the latest 1.10
version.

The first issue is related to the new Geocoding API. Great work btw.

When using the MAPQUEST_NOMINATIM or GEONAMES service only the first
feature in the resulting layer gets a geometry. The other features only
report NULL as geometry. I think there might be a bug. When using the
OSM_NOMINATIM service all features have geometries.

The other two services, that are hardcoded, don’t seem to work at all. But
this is probably known and more of an issue on the server side. Calling
OGRGeocode on a YAHOO session produces the error “Line 17: Didn't find
expected '=' for value of attribute '/'.” When using BING OGRGeocode does
not produce an error but the returned Layer is just NULL.

The other issue is with reading an OSM file.

Firstly I have some questions regarding the interleaved reading.

For the driver to work with larger OSM files, the config option
OGR_INTERLEAVED_READING should be set and the interleaved reading scheme
should be used, correct?

Are there other drivers that would benefit from the interleaved reading
scheme?

Does this config option affect other drivers at all?

Currently I only use the interleaved reading and set this config option
only temporarily while reading the OSM file.

The issue I’m having is that I sometimes get a Failure on GetNextFeature
like “Too many members referenced in relation 32572”. What consequences
does this failure have?

If I just continue with the next layer in the interleaved reading scheme
get more features, but did I miss some features because of the failure?

If anyone is interested I can send a small test file where the failure can
be reproduced.

And finally I have a small suggestion regarding the osmconf.ini. I think
the waterway attribute should be default for lines as it usually is
important to differentiate for rivers ect.
Something like:
# keys to report as OGR fields
attributes=name,highway,waterway,aerialway,barrier,man_made

Kind regards,
Dennis