[gdal-dev] translating palettes in geotiff

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Apr 23 14:14:12 PDT 2013

David Strip <gdal <at> stripfamily.net> writes:

> On 4/23/2013 2:12 PM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> > rgb2pct.py utilityhttp://www.gdal.org/rgb2pct.html  is doing kind of similar
> > thing with the -pct option.
> >
> > -Jukka Rahkonen-
>
> I looked at the reference, but don't see how this would work. Seems like
> I would have to first translate the geotiff to an RGB, but even then I
> don't see how the pct option would let me do an arbitrary mapping of
> colors. Wouldn't the underlying algorithm look for a best match against
> the palette?

By kind of similar I meant that rgb2pct.py takes the source image and a
ready made palette from a file and writes out a new image by applying that
palette. I am not a programmer but I have seen that they can do even bigger
miracles than to modify some python script to use a paletted image as source
instead of RGB image.

-Jukka-