[gdal-dev] GDAL Raster Attribute Tables.

Peter Bunting petebunting at mac.com
Tue Apr 23 13:57:52 PDT 2013

Hi All,

We were wondering if there is any interest in the GDAL community for improving the Raster Attribute Implementation? Within our group of collaborators we have been representing image segmentations as clump files often large attribute tables containing millions of rows and numerous columns of data used for classification. We are finding the current approach that reads a single value at a time with the whole attribute table in memory to be quite poor performance wise and resource (i.e., memory) hungry.

We would like to propose a new implementation that allows reading and writing of whole chunks of a single column within the attribute table more like RasterIO.

If we were to create a patch, would the GDAL community be receptive to this? We were thinking this would be incorporated within the interface changes in GDAL 2.0. It has been muted that OGR might be merged into GDAL in version 2.0 if this were to occurred how would attribute tables be dealt with and are the changes we proposing something that needs to be considered in that wider context also?

Sam Gillingham and Pete Bunting

* Dr Pete Bunting
* Senior Lecturer in Remote Sensing
* Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences
* Aberystwyth University
* Aberystwyth
* Ceredigion
* SY23 3DB