[gdal-dev] OGR slow with network files on Windows

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Apr 29 01:55:50 PDT 2013

Selon Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Even Rouault
> <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> > I'm also wondering if setting unconditionnaly VSI_CACHE might not have some
> > theoretical penalty for fast access storage when there is a lot of seeking
> and
> > reading by small amounts (I believe this is the typical I/O pattern when
> you
> > display a JPEG2000). It might be relevant to have an option to enable
> > caching/buffering for files only located on SMB folders.
>
> How do you recognize if a file is SMB?

I was wondering that too and hoped you would known the answer ;-) There's
perhaps a Windows API for that... ?

FWIK SMB filenames are in the form "servershared_folderxxxx" , but it can be
mounted on a drive, so it becomes "X:shared_folderxxxx". Perhaps there's a way
of resolving this to the original name ?

But I'm not sure it is really needed either. Perhaps the theoretical performance
loss is neglectable in practice. I'm just throwing thoughts.