[gdal-dev] Using the OGR library with FileGDB driver

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 08:56:21 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Carl Godkin <cgodkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Even Rouault <
> even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
>

> I wonder if there is a way to determine if a .gdb is using a custom
> coordinate system so we can make a sensible error message.
>
> I find that in ArcGIS Explorer, selecting the "Source Data" on the
> "Properties" dialog lists the Coordinate System by name followed by a
> number in parentheses.  From the datasets I've tried, if the number in
> parentheses is zero, then it's apparently custom.  Otherwise it the ESRI
> coordinate system number.  I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to get at
> this information from the FileGDB API, do they?  I will investigate further
> if no one replies.

Just to finish this conversation up...

A little investigation in the FileGDB API dev kit shows that getting the
coordinate system from a "Feature Class" object requires loading the table
first.  But since the Geodatabase::OpenTable() call itself fails, I of
course can't proceed to check the spatial reference which comes
(indirectly) from the table.  So I'll just have to be satisfied with the
"Invalid function arguments" call.  Maybe ESRI will improve this on their
end one day.

I found that others are having this problem and have made the same
suggestion on the ArcGIS forum:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/54210-fail-to-open-table-with-2147024809-(invalid-function-arguments)-return-code

Thanks,

carl