[gdal-dev] KMLSuperOverlay bounding box variant not supported

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Mon Aug 19 11:07:23 PDT 2013

On Aug 19, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:

> Le lundi 19 août 2013 19:48:52, Carl Godkin a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> We obtained some KMLSuperOverlay datasets whose <GroundOverlay> bounding
>> box is defined neither with <LatLonBox> nor <LatLonAltBox> but instead with
>> the apparently recently added <gx:LatLonQuad> .
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/kmlreference?hl=en#gxlatlon
>> quad
>>
>> The function KmlSuperOverlayGetBoundingBox() doesn't deal with
>> <gx:LatLonQuad> and I don't see a simple way to suggest a patch to this
>> function to support it.  Has anyone a suggestion?
>>
>> I could submit an enhancement ticket (along with a sample dataset) if it
>> would help.
>
> If the coordinates in <gx:LatLonQuad> form a rectangle then it should not be
> very difficult to support, so yes please file a ticket. Otherwise I'm not sure
> what could be done…

according to
https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/kmlreference#gxlatlonquad

this is not necessarily a rectangle

"""
Allows nonrectangular quadrilateral ground overlays.

Specifies the coordinates of the four corner points of a quadrilateral defining the overlay area. Exactly four coordinate tuples have to be provided, each consisting of floating point values for longitude and latitude. Insert a space between tuples. Do not include spaces within a tuple. The coordinates must be specified in counter-clockwise order with the first coordinate corresponding to the lower-left corner of the overlayed image. The shape described by these corners must be convex.
"""