[gdal-dev] gdalwarp -tps

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Thu Aug 29 09:00:30 PDT 2013

The -tps option can only be used with control points added to an
unreferenced raster. It's done this way:

gdal_translate \
     -gcp scanx1 scany1 worldx1 wordy1     \
      -gcp scanx2 scany2 worldx1 worldy1   \
     ... etc \
in.tif out.tif

gdalwarp -tps out.tif world.tif

A georeferenced raster cannot have additional control points, so you can
not warp it further with -tps. The only way to use thin plate spline
interpolation is to compute the control points in the original scan
coordinate sytem. Not very easy!

Jan