[gdal-dev] -wm (memory in mb with gdalwarp)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Dec 2 11:03:41 PST 2013

Le lundi 02 décembre 2013 19:42:59, Jonathan Moules a écrit :
> On 2 December 2013 18:32, Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> > Le lundi 02 décembre 2013 19:12:07, Jonathan Moules a écrit :
> > > Hi Even,
> > > To hit the 10GB limit I'm using (Windows Server 2008):
> > >
> > > gdal_translate -of GTiff -co TILED=YES -co BIGTIFF=YES -co
> > > COMPRESS=JPEG -co JPEG_QUALITY=60 -co BLOCKXSIZE=512 -co
> > > BLOCKYSIZE=512 -co
> > > PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR 2000.vrt 2000.tif
> > >
> > > I tried adding:  --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 27000000000 but then it'd just
> > > crash with out-of-memory (it wouldn't actually stop at 27GB; so I guess
> > > that works differently again).
> >
> > Crash (Windows dialog) or "clean" exit with a GDAL error message ?
> > What are the files (TIFF, ECW, ...) in the VRT ?
> > I don't see anything wrong, and have not OS and hardware specs to
> > reproduce that.
>
> A clean GDAL error:
>
> 0...ERROR 2: GDALRasterBlock::Internalize : Out of memory allocating 262144

It is really the operating system refusing to do the allocation. Perhaps there
are too much of small allocation, but the virtual memory space on 64 bit is
huge so fragmentation should not be an issue.
Or perhaps you've just reached the RAM size due to the ECW SDK eating RAM by
itself. According to http://www.gdal.org/frmt_ecw.html, it can consume up to
1/4 of the RAM by default. I'm not sure which version of the SDK you are
using, but I remember that with the ECW SDK 3.3 it requires a patch for Linux
64 bit, otherwise it could use much more RAM than 1/4. You could try setting
ECW_CACHE_MAXMEM explicitely (possibly below 2 GB to avoid any potential 32/64
bit issue)

--
Geospatial professional services