[gdal-dev] Tiling and Overviews disappear after compressing with LZW

Ammar ammar83_h at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 07:21:10 PST 2013

Hello list,

I am new to GDAL and I have been using the utilities to process and prepare TIFF  to create a mosaic in Geoserver. I am expermineting with different compression methods and I have noticed that after compressing a file with LZW, the previously created tiles and overviews disappear!

 what I did was:

gdal_translate -a_srs "EPSG:3011" -co "TILED=YES" -co "BLOCKXSIZE=512" -co "BLOCKYSIZE=512" in.tif out.tif

gdaladdo -r average file.tif 2 4 8 16 32    //Adding the overviews

gdal_translate -co compress=LZW in.tif out.tif

After the compression, I got the original block size and with no overviews!

Any ideas, thoughts or tips will be appreciated.

//Ammar